Whether you love biking or walking, getting exercise is crucial to maintaining your health and is now easier than ever! Hiking trails are a great resource in the Phoenix area, and make it easy to get in shape and have a little outdoor fun. Peoria has some of the Valley’s top hiking trails, ranging from novice to expert levels, and many offer incredible views. While living in Arizona, you can experience all that Mother Nature has to offer right up the road.
Vistancia’s Discovery Trail
Right outside your front door in the community of Vistancia, located off Loop 303 (Exit 127) and Lone Mountain Parkway, lies a 3.5-mile linear path perfect for walking, running or biking. This private path, available to residents of Vistancia, is surrounded by natural beauty with varying elevations and views of the Sonoran Desert. This trail offers connecting trail parks perfect for a family outing featuring, picnic ramadas, BBQ grills, shaded playgrounds, a basketball court and baseball field. A few Discovery Trail parks include:
- Solar Garden: This park offers a one-billionth scale solar system model perfect for stargazing. Located near the midway point on Discovery Trail just north of Sunrise Point.
- Cottonwood Park: Perfect for a family picnic, this park offers ramadas for picnics and a park and play area for the kids or outdoor activities. Located on the southern end of Discovery Trail, north of Ridgeline Rd.
- Riverwalk Park: If you are looking for a challenge this park is for you. Designed with a par course, outdoor fitness equipment, walking and running trails. This park also includes picnic ramadas and grass play areas for the family. Located at the north end of Discovery Trail just northwest corner of Vistancia Blvd. and Lone Mountain Rd.
If you are looking for additional hiking destinations near Vistancia, you might also try:
West Wing Mountain Trail
Situated on the beautiful West Wing Mountain, this trail is designed for those hikers with an appetite for more intermediate exercise. The beginning of the trail is just off of West Wing Park in Peoria which provides easy parking for hikers with cars. The first 0.6 miles of this nearly three-mile loop hike is a graduated incline, which makes warming-up easy.
As you continue, you’ll reach the summit by way of a few steep inclines. The view on the peak and on the way down is gorgeous, with panoramic views of the Valley and great scenery along the trail. This hike is approximately 2 hours long.
East Wing Mountain Trail
If you’re new to hiking and mountain trails, East Wing Mountain’s beginner trail is the place for you. This trail offers a short 0.4-mile uphill climb with beautiful scenic overlooks. The intermediate and difficult trails are longer at 1.8 miles each and include steeper inclines than the beginner.
Once you reach the summit of the difficult trail, you’ll enjoy a breathtaking 360-degree view of the Phoenix skyline, Four Peaks, West Wing Mountains and maybe even Lake Pleasant.
Skunk Creek Trail
For the biker, jogger or speed walker, Skunk Creek Trail offers the best in biking and running pathways. This nearly six-mile trail is built for the sightseer, as it provides excellent views of local wildlife such as javelina, coyotes, rabbits, owls and more.
For those who want to stop in, the trail leads right past the Peoria Sports Complex and through local neighborhoods. Aside from runners and bikers, you may notice equestrians utilizing the pathway as well. For a day out with friends or family, enjoy the trail itself or duck off the beaten path to visit one of the many parks along the trail.
Pipeline Canyon Trail
Mere minutes from Lake Pleasant is the incredible Pipeline Canyon Trail. This 3.9-mile trip is worth its weight in beautiful views of the lake and various creeks and canyons. This path is perfect for those beginners who want to be challenged a bit or the experienced hiker who’d like a leisurely hike to soak up the view. There are various areas of incline and decline to work your legs and a rewarding overlook of Fireman’s Cove and the Bradshaw Mountains. You may just be lucky enough to see a wild burro along your way.
Before you set out on your next hiking adventure, make sure you adhere to these common hiking safety tips:
- Stay hydrated before, during and after your hike
- Wear appropriate footwear made for hiking
- Tell someone where you’re going and how long you’ll be gone
- Stay on the designated trail
- Wear sunscreen or appropriate clothing to prevent sunburn
- Hike with a buddy
Awesome Hiking Trails Just Outside Your Front Door
You never have to go far to experience some of the best hikes in Arizona. With a new home in Vistancia in Northwest Peoria, you can enjoy these trails just minutes from your door. For more information, contact us online or call 623-933-6233.